Authentic street food will be an unforgettable experience when you visit any land. Guatemalan food blends Mayan traditions with colonial influences, creating an interesting and varied dish. The article below will introduce one of the must-try street foods, Elotes locos Guatemala.
What Is Elotes Locos Guatemala?
“Elotes Locos” may seem like an impossible dish, but this street food favorite was a pleasant surprise. Corn is grilled in tomato sauce, mayonnaise and cheese before serving. It is messy but delicious!
You can easily find this dish on every street corner in Guatemala. To have this dish, people boil or bake the corn – the traditional yellow corn of Guatemala, peel it off, pin it to a bamboo stick or separate the seeds and put them in a cup.
A special feature is that people will season the corn with salt, paprika, lemon, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream to create a special flavor. Elotes Locos is also known as “Crazy Corn” because of its processing and its characteristic taste.
How To Make Elotes Locos Guatemala
The first step is preparing all the necessary ingredients for the cooking process. You can easily buy them from any supermarket or retail store, so you should prepare well.
- Butter: You can choose salted or unsalted types, depending on your taste. It will bring a strange flavor when combined with other kinds of sauce.
- Mayonnaise: You will need to prepare mayonnaise to make your dishes more delicious, especially when you combine it with lemon juice. It is a cooking recipe in Mexico, and it is becoming more popular in recent years when it comes to street food.
- Cheese: The best advice for you is to buy Cotija cheese. It is a bit salty, but it will bring a wonderful flavor to those who try it. You can buy cheese in crumble or pebbles. Grated cotija is not suitable for this dish.
- Corn chips: You can choose the type of corn chips you want. After that, you need to crush them down into crumbs to let them inside the corn.
- Mustard: This special ingredient is only available in this area, which is Queso Seco. It is yellow and tastes like salty cheese. If you cannot buy them, you can use normal kinds of mustard to replace them. Remember to use a suitable amount for the whole corn.
Firstly, you need to remove all silk on your corn by rubbing it with the brush or strongly with your hands under the faucets. The more silk you remove, the more delicious your dish is.
After boiling the corn, you need to keep it warm. During this time, you can prepare other ingredients, such as butter. You can let your butter in the microwave for about 15 seconds until it is softer.
Next, you can crush the hot corn chips in two ways: put them in a bag and use your hand to crush them, or place them in your food processor. After that, you need to blend crumbed hot corn chips with the cotija cheese to create a wonderful dish.
Moreover, you can cut a line in the middle of your corn to make it easier to insert some sticks. Another tip for you is to use aluminum foil to cover the corn and make your elotes locos taste well with all ingredients.
How To Store Elotes Locos Guatemala
Elotes locos Guatemala will give you the best taste when you try it right away. If you want to store them for the next day, you can reheat them in the oven or microwave. It only takes you about a few minutes for this process.
Elotes Locos Guatemala is one of the street foods that should not be missed if you have the opportunity to visit this beautiful country. However, you can also cook it yourself at home with the simple steps outlined in the article above. If you have any questions, you can ask me at any time.